Saturday 4 April 2009

Campaign Developments...

Recently regarding my campaign I received quotes of support from Connie Fisher which said
“There is a key saying in life, ‘Your health is your Wealth’ and this is certainly the phrase I live by. Organ transplant lists are always growing but with people like Holly launching a national Donor Day hopefully we can raise awareness on a subject that can often be over-looked. Join me and pledge your support by putting your name on the Organ Donor Register. You too could give others the gift of life.”

I also received support from Nina Wadia - "Give someone a second chance by giving them the gift of life. Put your name on the organ donation register and support Holly's campaign. The gift of Life is a great campaign as it is raising awareness of the shortage of organ donors, it is a subject that young people don't want to think about, but they should as it may affect them."

And finally Alexandra Burke - “It’s so important for people to understand what it means to give something back. Hundreds of people die every year in the UK waiting for a transplant and this is why I am supporting Holly's campaign and encouraging people to sign the organ donor register."

On the 29th of March I went down to London for some filming for the Battlefront programme, for a few meetings about my campaign but most importantly I got to meet all of the other Battlefront campaigners at the Battlefront event at County Hall!

It was a great day with some really interesting and inspiring people. One of the highlights was meeting Ed Balls he was a lovely man and was genuinely interested in hearing about our campaigns and our aims! He offered to receive information regarding the campaigns and then forward them on to relevant people who may be able to help us!



I also got the opportunity to discuss my progress of The Gift of Life campaign with Esther Rantzen among other influential people. They seemed impressed! I then was asked to do a speech in front of about 60ish people (including Ed and Esther) I was reluctant to do this at first as I hate public speaking (I get nervous doing presentations at university) however I overcame my nerves. It was a short speech but I am so glad I did it.

I got the chance to meet up with one of my mentors Amy Maclaren from Colman Getty and we discussed the photocall (which was taking place on 6th April) and what still needed to be planned and what would be the general focus of the photo including the location. We decided that it would be best to set up a Donor Desk in a public space so that people would be able to recognise the flagship one at Canary Wharf!

It was decided that my campaign needed a BIG idea and some branding so Battlefront organised for me to meet Steve @ designers Dave from dave.biz the next day. They were fantastic and had some great ideas, including the fact that it only takes 2 minutes to sign up to the Organ Donor Register - the time it takes to make a cup of tea!


2 minute heroes was born and the slogan Be a Hero: Put the Kettle on! They made me T-shirts, badges, leaflets and mugs. I absolutely love them and will continue to use them throughout my campaign!

That same afternoon I got to see the venue for the Donor Day Drinks night for the first time - Adam Street, Private Members Club (very swish) I fell in love with it straight away! So its all happening, not long to go and still lots to plan.....

No comments: